Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In Service


Consider this:

You have a very bad day.

Your life feels cracked and your head is falling down the middle.

You feel out of control.

Might I suggest something? This is what I did today when I was feeling these things:

I was mourning over how few close friends I had to talk to...

and I felt a divine whisper...

and I called up a woman I am just getting to know...

she has just had a death in the family and was out of town...

I called her up and told her I've been thinking about her

and praying for her

and I wanted to invite her to get together

sometime

and talk together

and have it be

all about her

(this is the important part)

not about me

(when I really want to talk about me)

but about her

to offer my friendship

my love

my everything

to her and our friendship.

I called her and told her that.

(Well, leaving out the part about me wanting to talk about me)

She said, "Well, isn't that so sweet!"

I think she was really touched.

And she said we'd make a date soon.

I hung up feeling a warm spot in my chest

where the empty cave used to be.

I felt God fill my heart.

It feels good to give

without expecting to get

in return.

1 comment:

  1. You. Are. Beautiful. I just wanted you to hear that. To really hear that.

    How I love this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. Whether we agree or disagree, I hope to create a "table" where we can come together no matter who we are and be the people we were created to be. Let us comment with respect and love for each other. Thank you so much for taking the time to connect with me. Bless you!