Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Sting of This World


I thought I had done it.

but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect

~Peter 3:15

I had been afraid to do it for months, ever since the beginning of my faith walk, and I thought I had done it: defended my faith.

Someone challenged me and, unfortunately, not in a very civil manner. I was called brainwashed and self-righteous.

Why would someone who does not believe in God go to a God-centered blog and read it, poke at it?

Why would a Christian go to an Agnostic or Atheist's blog and do the same thing?

Why do some people think all Christians are hateful people?

Why do some people think that all non-Christians are hateful people?

I'm coming from a place of love. That is the Home in which I live. Words cannot describe this place of love; I try every day to formulate the "right" words to express my love for what I live, what I believe, what I love.

God.

I've read countless Christian blogs that say everything with grace and ease. They are not challenged. Not that I know of.

Am I not a wordsmith? Do my thoughts confuse?

However,

Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses
~ 1Timothy 6:12


This isn't about the person who challenged me; it is about the fact that I was challenged. I had never been challenged before and perhaps I was walking about naively. Perhaps God wanted me to learn, soak, absorb His ways before He put my first test before me.

I am not used to debate. In fact, I despise it and actively try to hide from it. My father blasted me wrong...stupid...selfish as a child. I never wanted to open my mouth again. But as a Christian, one is called upon to defend his or her faith.

I am glad that this person challenged me. It made me take a closer look at the words I choose and it also made me even more convinced that I do come from a place of tolerance and love.

Oh, why strife in this world? Why intolerance and hate? Why accusations?

I say this not from one side; I say this in the most general of terms.

Can't we learn to fix each others' hurts? Maybe not, but I wish we could.

May your boo-boo not sting so much this day.

Bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. Whether we agree or disagree, I hope to create a "table" where we can come together no matter who we are and be the people we were created to be. Let us comment with respect and love for each other. Thank you so much for taking the time to connect with me. Bless you!