Saturday, March 12, 2011

God as the New Norm

Photobucket
1978 Mom holding me as a baby


I wanted to write an inspirational post about God and simplicity and complexity of this journey I am on. The imperfect truth is that I feel off my path today, especially tonight.

I'm home alone (Husband is working an extra shift) and I watched a documentary on depression which I shouldn't have.

It reminded me of my struggles, but, moreso, it reminded me of my mother, how much of an advocate she was, and how much I dearly, dearly miss her.

I feel the ache so much I feel I might implode.

In my pain, I hear the whisper

O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent.
Psalm 22:2


I whisper that and don't even know God comes into this pain of mine. I have felt this grief over my mother since 2006 and I have felt it without the knowledge of God's presence. I am used to feeling alone. Dealing with it alone. Living it alone.

Out of nowhere, I now hear

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
Matthew 5:4


I look around. The tears stop. A warmth settles over me like when I drink warm liquid and can feel the warmth literally move down my throat and spread out over my body.

Oh yes, I think. That's right. I am a Christian now. I have God now. How could I have forgotten?

I rest my head against the back of the chair and look up at the ceiling. It feels different, this companionship.

Just a little while before, I was crying out in pain and anguish and grief. I was in mourning.

I was a mourning dove.

I have to remind myself that it's different now. Those 26 and a half years I lived in depression without the Lord (well, without me knowing Him) are over and now, 4 months ago, I found a new way to live, survive, even thrive.

God's in the mix now. That's how things are different.

I await the day when God becomes my new norm.

Bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. Whether we agree or disagree, I hope to create a "table" where we can come together no matter who we are and be the people we were created to be. Let us comment with respect and love for each other. Thank you so much for taking the time to connect with me. Bless you!