Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First Poem on Faith


I played chicken on the tracks

for thirty-two years.

Stretched my leg along

the lip of the edge.

I was homesick for a home

I couldn't even fathom,

didn't even know I needed.

If I saw a woman on the street

I wouldn't recognize the God-in-her,

but a poor, forsaken soul

in need of help.

Thus: I was looking at myself.

When I opened myself to God

there was a WHOOSH, a huge exhale

of holiness, a great voice saying

you belong with me

not at the ledge

and suddenly I knew, I KNEW

my steps had been backward,

away from truth and divine love.

I inched closer to him, like a baby to

a new father, ready to fly

under His wing.

3 comments:

  1. I had to smile at the WHOOSH. That's the word that a friend and I use occasionally when referring to the Holy Spirit.

    Sounds like Mr. Whoosh got ahold of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL!! Well done, my friend. May this bless many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. :) This is amazing writing. And it's the story for many people who run from God for so, so long--I'm glad you're giving them a voice. I've suffered from depression, too, so I'm coming back soon to read more. BTW, congrats on your piece being spotlighted at THC!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. Whether we agree or disagree, I hope to create a "table" where we can come together no matter who we are and be the people we were created to be. Let us comment with respect and love for each other. Thank you so much for taking the time to connect with me. Bless you!