Saturday, January 15, 2011

"A new song in my mouth"


January is proving to be very challenging. I suffer from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) as well as severe depression. These past two months have been steady and inspiring. I haven't had a real dip since I began my faith walk.

However, yesterday I woke up and did not want to get out of bed. I knew PMDD was a factor. I could barely sit at the table for breakfast and get out the door for work. I was driving to work and heard my favorite song, "You Can Have Me" by Sidewalk Prophets (see previous post) and immediately started crying.

I had a vague idea of what to do now that I was a Christian. I pray, right? I began to pray to God: please don't let me fall so far as I usually do. Last January started a four-month stint of severe depression. I was afraid of what this January would bring, yet, at the same time, I knew that things would be different now that I had God in my life. But still... part of me remained scared and doubtful. Still, I prayed.

What else do I do? I thought. I cried. I opened my heart up to God and said: "I give myself to you."

I wanted to release my burden, but I didn't know how. I wished that pain could be a physical ball of string, for example, or something that I could actually hand to God. I could let go of this thing and feel the release and relief of it. I didn't know if I could abstractly let go of my pain and suffering.

I tried to anyway. I said: "Lord, I release my burden to you; please send your Holy Spirit down to comfort me and inspire me."

The song ended and I stopped crying. Minutes passed. I drove.

Soon, I noticed that I felt differently. I arrived at work and had a half hour to spend before I was to meet my clients. I felt excited because - wow! - I felt relief, even joy! God had worked his miracles on me!

To God, it was not a miracle. It was simply what He does. I'm sure He thought, "oh my child, just call out for me and I will be there."

And I had my doubts, I'm afraid to say. I thought, how important am I that God would hear and answer me?

Nonsense, I realize now. God has time for all of us. Even the newbies, like me. :)

The whole day became a miracle. I had time to pour over the Bible while waiting for clients. I had time to listen to my music in the car (I'm obsessed with contemporary Christian music now); I was just full of the holy spirit.

I loved interacting with my clients (people with disabilities) and my co-workers. I blessed each one and felt blessed by each one.

I must tell you. I did not think I could do this. More specifically, I didn't think God could do this - tackle my depression demons, I mean. I have been living with them since I was a little, little girl; I thought I was just too far-gone. I just had to accept my lot in life: suffering.

NO! I do not deserve to suffer. Jesus did that for me, for us, and it is an insult to Him to think that I need to. My inheritance is joy. To walk in faith. To be obedient and a servant of the Lord. My inheritance is to listen to God and do what pleases Him.

From dark to light, that day was a miracle. And all I had to do was ask.

"I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and the mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put trust in the Lord."
Psalm 40: 1-3


Bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. Whether we agree or disagree, I hope to create a "table" where we can come together no matter who we are and be the people we were created to be. Let us comment with respect and love for each other. Thank you so much for taking the time to connect with me. Bless you!