Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tacos are Yummy, but...



My 4-year-old stepson is now in Awana, which is like cub scouts for God. His 7-year-old sister is in it as well, but I'm going to mention something that he did recently. He learned and memorized his first Bible verse:

"God is love."
~ 1 John 4:8

He says it really cute. I wonder what it means to him. Then I wondered what it means to us. I meditated on the word, "love," and realized it is a far overused word. We say, "I love tacos" and "I love my spouse" in the same sentence. Do you see something careless in this?

God took his Word very seriously in the Bible: 

"The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Psalms 12:6 (KJV) 

 and that makes his words holy. I am trying to be more intentional with my words. I praise God more - not just for the good things, but for the struggles which allow me to lean on him and to glorify him through my perseverance. I count my blessings. I use words of affirmation toward Husband, which, in turn, helps him feel appreciated and supported. Sure, tacos are yummy, but the love of God calls me to share is so special and dear to me; the love I have for God is so enormous, when I say, "I love..." I recognize the weight it carries. 

How heavy or meaningful is love for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. Whether we agree or disagree, I hope to create a "table" where we can come together no matter who we are and be the people we were created to be. Let us comment with respect and love for each other. Thank you so much for taking the time to connect with me. Bless you!